Friday, January 06, 2006

and so it commences ...


This upcoming weekend is my first busy guard weekend of the season. If you’re not into colorguard this is your last chance to bail out and to turn to another station.

I was invited to sit in the box this Saturday at CCGC's evaluation show in San Jose. It starts at 5:00 and there are a couple of dozen guards on the slate so it will be a pretty long evening. This will be the “first read” of the season and I’m excited to see what’s new and who’s doing what. There’s been some significant staff changes since last season in some of the top guards and I’m anxious to see how all that shakes out in terms of program excellence. Plus, I’m thrilled that SCV is putting out a winterguard for the first time in eons. This is great, great news in my view. I can’t wait to see them. Ok, I’m biased – so sue me.

The first read of a show is always great cuz everything is fresh and innovative … you start looking at it with a more jaded eye once you’ve seen it several times … no matter how good it is. The outstanding thing is that I’ll see a few good friends while I’m there. It’s also my one and only chance to get my notes and head together in preparation for my first paid judging gigs for WGI-circuits. I’m a bundle of excited nerves to have gotten the opportunity to do this. I always hoped to but never really thought I would.

On Sunday I have a meeting with some fellow guard geeks to work on the agenda and training materials for the NCBA judge’s clinic coming up on January 15. I’ve got my part together and have gotten to the point where I just need to stop rewriting and obsessing over it … seriously.

No comments: