
Thursday finds me totally out of my blue funk. Mail saved my life. Truly. Long story short, suffice it to say that thanks to my mailbox my outlook is much improved and I feel ready to kick ass and take names ... and probably will. I do wish someone could explain why it takes USPS six days to deliver, one tiny and very important, letter to me ... a mere 25 miles from its point of origin. No matter. It made me very, very happy once I had it in my hand.
The weekend seemed exceedingly long and tedious but had a couple of real bright spots. Sunday's presentation -- by all accounts -- went really well so hooray for our side. A committee is being established for next year and will meet sometime in April. It's a pebble dropped in a pond -- we'll see where the ripples take us.
Last night I spent the evening with my kids. It's great when your grown children spend time with you like friends. We went to the local watering hole and shot some pool, drank some beer, reminesced and laughed so much we annoyed people. So what. It was exactly what I needed. It's funny how things turn out. When my boys hit puberty, there were people who used to tell me that a single woman couldn't raise men. My quick reply was always "maybe but I'm raising genuine, socially-conscious, contributing members of society". People laughed. That's okay cuz I got the last laugh. My kids are great people.
For the last two evenings I've been trying to take some decent photos of my dog. Maybe it's just my dog, I dunno' but everytime I point the camera at him he runs as if I'm pointing a gun at him. Historically he has run from anything that looks remotely like a gun -- we don't know how he knows about guns but trust me he does. His name is Teddy and my husband and I adopted him when he was about three. We theorize that Teddy had some kind of top secret life before we met him. Drug sniffing for US Customs, earthquake Search & Rescue, Prison guard dog, Police K-9, international spy ... something, definitely something. He has the demeanor of a proper English butler, he's smarter and more polite than most people's children and damn near human in a variety of ways, but his fear of guns (and evidently now cameras) is making it nearly impossible to get a decent photo of him. I had to get my son to hold him still to get any pictures at all. That resulted in a really brief but hilarious episode last night. Ted tried to get away from the camera by running away from and out the patio door (which was open about 4 inches at the time). Bad news for Mo the cat as that's exactly what Mo the cat was trying to do too. Understand Ted is pretty cool with Mo, but Mo ... well, let's just say he has attitude to spare about Ted. So all 80 pounds of Ted at a dead run head for the door where he surprises Mo (paused with head outside, tail inside) by inadvertently sticking his big wet and uninvited dog nose where no dog nose has been before. Mo, responded instantly by defying all the natural laws of physics and jettisoning himself straight into the air about four feet then sideways at a 90 degree angle ... a hissing, spitting, black ball of fur right out of a Hanna Barbara cartoon ... which terrified Ted ... and I'm lucky my patio door is still in intact. Mo promptly went into hiding and was nowhere to be found until he skulked out into the living room this morning where he instantly made it evident that he is in full blown stealth mode, focusing all energy on eyeballing Teddy and in clear anticipation of the next "attack" -- and Teddy -- with a brain roughly the size of a walnut -- is totally oblivious. Thinking about it now it still makes me laugh.
No comments:
Post a Comment