Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Checking in ...


Whoever said you should never go grocery shopping when you're hungry wasn't lying. We did that on Saturday night and went way overboard. I don't whose freezer we thought we were gonna' put all these snacks in. Creative space planning allowed us to finally squeeze 'em all into ours and we're set for like the next two weeks! Maybe more.

As I look at my desk this morning, the President's Day weekend already seems like it happened two weeks ago. I am officially overwhelmed with projects -- but hey, you can eat a whole elephant if you do it one bite at a time, right?

The weekend went whizzing by. I had a judging gig on Saturday morning but it was local, and early, so it didn't kill the whole day. We managed to squeeze in some shopping, eating out and a movie over the long weekend. If you're one of those who can't drive by an accident without slowing down to look, Final Destination 3 is the movie for you. Some of it is actually pretty shocking (especially the scenes where people get smashed -- and I mean like bugs). It's amazing how real things look in movies these days. Definitely nightmare producing -- I wouldn't take kids under the mental age of 12.

We had the house to ourselves all weekend so we nested in the front room pull out. I don't know why but it always feels like a vacation when we do that. Like camping or something???? The oldest "kiddo" took a powder to Oregon to see a girl. Upon returning he's announced he's moving to Oregon at the end of the semester. Ok. I've always feared my kids living far away and now it's here. I expected to be really, really upset but truthfully, all I am is happy for him. It's hard not to be when you see him talk about her. Sigh. I hope it's everything they want it to be.

This coming weekend is Renegades camp and I'm having mixed feelings. With all of the staff changes and so many people choosing not to perform this year it feels like I'll be walking into a new corps. This has its good and bad points. Truthfully I'm not looking forward to having to prove myself all over again and that's where the mixed feelings come into play.I've spent the last four seasons building up staff confidence in my abilities and have gotten some pretty cherry opportunities primarily due to their belief in me and my commitment to getting it right no matter what -- and now I have a new staff who has no idea what I'm about. I'm not a quick learner. I don't look good early season and and I'm getting a late start. Sigh. This will be my first camp but their third (maybe fourth). I haven't been able to attend previous camps due to judging commitments. Obviously I plan to do my best when I get there ... we'll just have to see where that takes me. I'm not ready to actually retire but my "spot" will have to be seriously challenging for me to want to make the necessary sacrifices to participate. I'm absolutely not a diva but challenging to me means having a weapon in my hand ... so we'll see. Cross your fingers for me!

No comments: