Monday, February 27, 2006

Random Weekend Wackiness ... and the Olympics?


Another weekend gone! Everyone says time flies when you’re having fun … bullshit! Time flies faster and faster the older you get. I am stunned … ok, and scared.

I had every intention of watching the Olympics this year. I really did. I love the Olympics … the whole thrill of victory/agony of defeat thing is riveting. This year it just never happened for me. I caught a few skaters and a little bit of this and that but was really not in touch with the Olympics at all. I did make the gargantuan mistake of watching the opening ceremonies … egads … I think the impression that left on me is what eventually made me forget to watch the Olympics. The whole cow thing was just awful. What do cows have to with the winter Olympics? And cows on wheels? Actually, what do cows on wheels have to do with anything, anywhere? What? Who said that? Ever since I started judging colorguard I can’t look at theatrical events without analyzing them … and the opening ceremonies were kaka on a stick. Yeah, I said it. Yuck! Hopefully someone got fired.

So Friday night I journeyed to San Mateo. Repeat journeyed to San Mateo. It took me 3 hours to get there from Sacramento because of the absolutely, positively, out of control, utterly ridiculous, traffic that is now the standard in the bay area. Good grief! I’m glad I don’t live down there anymore. Somewhere between the bridge and Richmond there was a big smash up about four cars in front of me. We were all going like 70 at the time and then just suddenly stopped … dead … in the middle of the freeway … with the lanes on either side still going 70. Ok … talking about it makes the tiny hairs on the back of my neck stand up right now. I have felt closer to death but this was a scary moment. Anyway, it was a biggie but both drivers were out and walking around when I drove by them like 60 seconds afterward. Seriously, I wanted to just get out of there before someone crushed us all. Of course the only means of escape was the carpool lane … which I used and tried to get out of right away but the incredibly stupid and unconscious biatch next to me (yes, I’m bitter) just couldn’t stand to have one more car in front of her and so I got stuck there for what felt like an hour hoping a CHP didn’t see me. 99.9% of the time I'm calmer under pressure than I am at any other time ... ok, that day fell into .1% of the time when I'm NOT calm under pressure! Yeah … I was pissed … I flipped her the bird when I finally nosed in front of her. I hope she hasn’t reproduced … or voted. Anyhoo, the purpose of my journey was to judge a show and do a clinic. Both things went far better than expected and left me a little exhilarated. No worries, the ginormous drive home sucked the exhilaration (and life) out of me with quickness.

Saturday was another judging gig … Antioch … which I think may be Vulcan for far away land hella’ inconvenient to get to via any freeway … but what do I know. The show was good. I think the overall quality of the performances in NCBA is picking up significantly. The excellence of the top 5 or so guards was on par with any other guard I’ve ever seen – in person or on tape.

It was kind of a chancy afternoon. I took the B with me for the first time and I was afraid that he’d be bored cuz it was a looong show ... but he did just great. I think it helped a lot that he had one of the four best seats in the house and I think he was a little intrigued by what I was doing … and now there’s the added bonus of him understanding what I’m doing all these weekends. I saw several friends there too. In fact, two of them trialed Sunday. I’m excited for them. I think they’ll be wonderful judges.

Sunday was supposed to be a day of recuperation but we both got a blast of energy and ended up dismantling and reassembling our bedroom … and shopping for stuff we suddenly felt the urge to have to complete the project.We went to Walmart … (cuz ya’ know, if they don’t sell it at Walmart, you don’t need it) … it was raining super hard but neither of us had the sense to take a jacket. Doh! Everybody in the world was there. Seriously. And the truly bizarre aspect about the entire afternoon that I’ll always remember … I’ve NEVER seen so many people that looked inbred all in one place at the same time ... wacky. Independently we both noticed it .. and then laughed about it … a lot.

Overall the weekend was good. The shows went great. The bedroom is fabulous. I'm still recuperating and I’m looking forward to the next weekend already ... and it’s only Monday.

rut roh.

No comments: