Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I see the moon and the moon sees me ...

If you weren’t lucky enough to be out driving around at 3:30 a.m. today then you missed a fabulous moon. Fabulous in the way that it’s fabulous to be startled to see an eagle flying over the freeway, or to happen across a great horned owl sitting high in a tree in your camp site or to see a bear foraging in the forest (and leaving your expensive prescription sunglasses behind, quietly backing away so you can survive to write about it in your blog). I’ve seen all of those things and know that sometimes nature just makes me stop and stare ... and it's once in a lifetime fabulous. The moon this morning was like that. You could see the dark outline of the whole moon with just a thin crescent of dark orange glow at the very bottom and sort of tipped at an angle. The moon looked heavy and was enormous on the horizon. It felt like you could put your hand out the car window and just cup it in your palm to feel the weight of it. I nearly drove off the freeway overpass looking at it and for the rest of the drive I kept pondering where the sun would have to be in relationship to the earth to cast a shadow at that angle on the moon and was once again astonished that any people anywhere could have ever believed the world to be flat with the obvious truth staring them in the face.

Then I wondered what obvious truths are staring us in the face now that we simply can’t comprehend.

Briefly it made me sad to realize that so much of the universe is still beyond our intellect.

Finally I was glad for at least I have the intellect to appreciate the wonder of it all anyway.


.

No comments: