
Wednesday we touched down in Minneapolis about 6 a.m. and headed to Matt and Jen’s house where Stu and I crashed like zombies until 2:00 pm! Later that evening the four of us went to fellow-Chopper Jess’ house where we ate spaghetti and pretended to work on parade hats for awhile before coming home to crash once again. Wednesday was really all about sleep and getting on the Minnesota clock.
Thursday was about rehearsal. Stubert and I did a bit of rehearsing on our own with brooms and dust mops before the real thing that night with the full corps. By the end of Thursday night I was thinking I’d bitten off far more than I could chew.
Friday was a free day and Matt (best host in the wonderful world) took us to the Mall of America where we met up with some fellow choppers and did the roller coasters and the log ride. Jen caught up with us later in the day, we did the roller coaster three more times (and I lost my voice from screaming … what a break for everyone else right!) did a bit of necessary shopping for costume bits and then had dinner at “Bubba Gump’s”. It was a very good day.
Saturday = SHOW DAY! It began with a 5-hour rehearsal block. Funny thing about those rehearsals, they’re a LOT like Renegade rehearsals. It’s hot, you sweat, you run, you cry about water breaks, you learn yo’ shyte … and then you go put your costume on and do it for the crowd. The crowd was enormous! And so appreciative of the folks on the field. I will say unabashedly I’ve NEVER received a reception like that from a California crowd.
After our performance we went back and cruised the souvie booths, said HI to a few Cali friends and then watched Madison and Santa Clara’s performances. Ok … it’s not a popular opinion but it’s mine. I like Madison’s show. Sure, it’s competitively vulnerable in spots but I like the way the show starts the moment you see them, their guard is a lot of fun to watch and there’s some drill moments near the end that will be really exciting once they’re clean. I loved, loved, loved Santa Clara’s show and, if I’d had my voice I’d have sure let it be known. When the hornline went down on both knees my heart started to pound and then there it was! Four counts of the bottle dance! Woot! And it was thrilling to see them outside of California and in the competitive thick of drum corps. It brought back some good memories. 1st or 7th or whatever at DCI, this is a stellar year for SCV and I’m happy to see it happen.
Saturday night we went to the legendary “Patrick’s” – the self-proclaimed only drum corps bar in the world. The walls at “Patrick’s” are lined with pictures of VFW-era Midwest corps and the menu boasts pizzas named after “The Cavaliers”, “Chops” and the “Governaires” … and the margaritas are positively slamming. Ok, so I got a little snockered. It was a good time and a great chance to get to know some of the Choppers a little better. They are some very cool people and I really appreciate how they’ve welcomed us so completely into their family.
Sunday = SHOW DAY! It was a repeat of Saturday except that as soon as we got off the field we had to head for the airport. So the corps circled up and sang the corps song and bid us farewell and safe journey. I’ll admit, they got to me and I’m looking forward to our next trip in SIX WEEKS. That seems such a long way away.
Highlights …
The Mall of America (aka MOA) is a really neat place. There’s one of everything and two of some things. It’s 4-stories tall and is equivalent to about three good-sized California malls and has what equates to a small Six Flags amusement park inside of it. It’s definitely an all day event.
We performed in front of the biggest crowds I’ve ever seen at a drum corps show outside of prelims and finals. The size of the audience at both shows was overwhelming but was still nothing compared to their unbridled enthusiasm. A totally different vibe than what I’ve ever felt in an early season California show. What a great reception they gave us.
While we were hanging out in the parking lot after rehearsal on Thursday night, I realized that my Vanguard star had fallen off my jacket somewhere out on the field. It was nearly 10:00 at night and the field was now black. Despite the odds, Stu and a couple of Choppers walked the field with me to look for it but it was just too dark to find it. A quiet, yet ultimately effective, APB was put out on the star and on Saturday morning it was handed back to me. Some of the members had gone back to the field on Friday morning to find it. Eureka! And I still find it hard to believe that they went to so much trouble to make sure I got it back. It’s just another example of how generous and welcoming these folks are to the cool California kids.
Minnesota’s harsh winters make for an interesting water slide ride somewhere near the airport. The entirely enclosed waterway tubes travel outside a hotel but the entrances and exits are safely tucked indoors. It’s a constant source of interest for Stu and I and we stare entranced everytime we drive by it. I’m thinking we’ll have to break down and ride it one day.
I now believe that being in a senior corps in California is like existing in a plastic bubble. Sadly when you’re in that bubble all you really have to keep you going is what you read on DCP and your own hype. The trouble with DCP is that it’s nothing but conjecture because until everyone hits the same field on the same day with the same judges it all means nothing … and it’s never been much of an indicator of the true outcome of events (or I would have a DCA medal around my neck by now). The trouble with hype … well its hype. I’m excited to be outside the bubble for now and I can’t help but feel lucky to have this unique opportunity to see things from the outside looking in.
I’ve now been to the Valley of the Jolly Green Giant! I didn’t know it was real but it is. It’s located in the town of Blue Earth near Le Seuer (and I think he has some peas named after that town). It was little kid thrilling to see the big Jolly Green Giant sign.
I’ve discovered why so many people from other corps are quick to make cutting comments about Minnesota Brass members … point blank, they are an arrogant bunch. I’ve been arrogant in the past, as has my bunch, but I was an ignorant teenager at the time and at least had something to be arrogant about. These guys … mmmm, not so much. Yeah, I said it … you know what they say about opinions … this one is mine.
I vandalized something for the first time ever … No worries, it’ll wipe right off. Related to the paragraph above? Positively! Regretful? Absolutely! I regret that I had to leave for the airport and didn’t get to see him find it.
All in all it was a good trip. And while I find myself all the time saying “I can’t believe I’m doing this”, I’m truly glad that I am. Thanks Stubert!
3 comments:
sounds like a great adventure filled with trials, laughs and a bit liquid fun hehehe I am glad you are having a wonderful time, Jojo.
Your perspective is worth absorbing, methinks.
Diane
It's one reason I don't read DCP anymore. I'm so glad you are doing well and enjoying yourself. I tried calling you the other day. Got some stuff to bounce off you.
Ok, so the more I read the more I feel like I'm going to need to make a commitment to 2008.
I miss you. I'm going to hold my own I&E in my backyard, it's just going to be me with my stuffed animals as judges. I think I can get the neighbors cat to spin sabre so maybe I will have someone to compete against.
Post a Comment