Thursday, August 02, 2007

We are so great .......... ?

The 2007 Renegades are crumbling to the point where they are dangerously close to no longer being the Renegades I fell in love with (who still own a piece of my heart). This is because they’re not pulling together off the field. Instead, in a decidedly non-Renegade fashion, they’re sniping at each other in public forums. The negativity is palpable and obvious to everyone in the drum corps community … and damned embarrassing! Members and leaders have forgotten that they’re simply individuals that comprise a greater whole. They've forgotten that the Renegades won’t succeed or fail due to the actions of individuals … no matter who those individuals are are or what they’ve contributed … or, in some cases, think they contributed. To phrase it as a cheesy cliché there’s no “I” in “TEAM”. To paraphrase a well known saying “it takes a village to raise a drum corps”. “We are so great” means nothing if individuals delude themselves into believing they are the impetus for positive results or the catalyst for positive change. Hear me when I ssy. No one individual is that important. The Renegades are bigger than any one person. The Renegades will go on without you and if you don’t believe that, then it’s your time to move on.

In my experience, the Renegades have proved the marketing hype on the field 100% of the time. That, my friends, is why “we are so great”. A legacy has been established and traditions begun that the 2007 Renegades now have the responsibility of shouldering and carrying on. So here’s hoping that you get your collective head out of your ass and remember that one of the Renegade’s greatest traditions is class.

“7” belongs to us ALL ... so go represent!

.

3 comments:

Kanika Clavejo said...

We are still so great. For those of us who are oblivious to the drama. lol.

Anonymous said...

Most seem to be refocusing on the goal at hand - of course, maybe I am just choosing to stay away from the secret little conversations most of the time. Jojo, your comments are understandable - please know that the majority are choosing to ignore picking sides...partly because there are no complete innocents, no true victims and because it will derail wonderfulness for DCA. I felt that happen by about hour #2 on Saturday. I think Renegades are pulling back into class mode and you should be proud. We can't go back and remove the actions or words of some that have hurt each other and violently disagree- unfortunately, they have done so in a public forum BUT I am proud of the majority that have the maturity to put the junk to the side for the greater good.

Some refer to the Koolaide and I find that mean. You have to find a reason to be in a group and believe in your show. It doesn't mean you are part of a cult or stupid or ignorant. It just means that it is your choice to be or not be in a group. What makes me sad are the people that are alums that have been hurt by a few in the corps. I just want the hurt people to realize they are loved, missed and honored but Koolaide comments hurt back instead of helping. Ya know?

D

Unknown said...

Perhaps I haven't worded this correctly for clearly you've both misunderstood me.

I still have enough happy fairy dust in my nostrils to keep me believing. Thus my reference to "7" belonging to all of us and "we are so great" being important to me. IMO, it's all something to be respected.

For the record, I don't believe I've made any "koolaid" comments on this blog; however, I do understand the emotion behind that comment when others make it. Personally I've always thought of my current disenchantment more akin to realizing the emperor has no clothes ... and if we're honest, I think we've all been there at one time or another. This is my time to be there and I believe I've earned it.