So earlier today, and just for the heck of it, I googled myself and lo and behold found my name on a blog belonging to a local colorguard kid ... and a couple of things changed forever.
1) It brought home to me how much influence, and therefore responsibility, I have as an adjudicator. It's not as though I didn't realize that on some level and it's not as though I don't always take my audience into account. I'm fully aware of who I'm talking to and I try to put my commentary together in a logical and educational way ... but today when I read "a 90 from Jojo and I can now die happy" it made me appreciate the immature and fragile feelings of these high school kids and I will carry my new-found appreciation with me into the judge's box forever more.
2) I've removed my current name and my colorguard "moniker" from my blog because there's no back-flow device in place and information that flows one way can surely flow the other. I don't want these kids knowing anything about me other than what they see when they look up into the judge's box.
I feel like I've been slapped ... and I'm thankful for it.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment