Monday, December 03, 2007

Pause ...

This past weekend I donned my clinicians’ hat and made the 5 hour round-trip journey to Hollister to spend the afternoon with the kids from San Benito’s guard. I had a good time and I hope they did too. The rest of the weekend was about household puttering and nonsense. The only stand out event of my entire weekend may in fact be the stand out event of my entire month … year … decade????

So I’m driving down Highway 5 at about 10:30 Saturday morning and I’m on that part of the 5 between Sacramento and Galt where the highway narrows from three lanes to two. I’m in the fast lane as it merges with the center lane. Me and everyone else in my lane quickly outpaces the vehicles in the slow lane and in really short order I’m passing a semi truck. Just after I’ve passed it, it toots at me … not a menacing honk … just a short little toot. Automatically I look in my rear view and there’s this bright red, uncommonly shiny, in fact positively gleaming, semi truck. All I can see through the truck’s front windshield is the driver’s right palm giving me a friendly wave … everything else is dark. Hmmmm. I give it about 30 seconds of real thought as I speed down the road … the palm was pretty big so it must have been a man, maybe he felt like I cut him off, maybe he likes blondes, maybe he honks at all the blue cars, maybe he’s tooting at someone else, who knows … now back to my regularly scheduled brain chaos. 30 minutes down the road I’ve forgotten totally about the truck as I hit Stockton and decide to pull off at Hammer Lane and fill up the tank. It’s about 10 minutes later before I get back on the road again. I’ve driven about a mile or so, deep in thought about who knows what, when I hear that toot behind me again …. I check the rear view and, sure enough, it’s that same shiny red truck and that same palm waving at me. My first thought is how did I pass that truck without noticing it. It’s so incredibly shiny!

Now I’m a bit freaked out and start thinking about the opening scenes from many a scary movie. What are the chances of that shiny red truck remembering my little blue car from 30 minutes further north? What are the chances that the guy driving honks at all the blue cars? What are the chances that the guy honks at all the blondes? What are the chances that this person knows me???????????

Had it not been for the fact that I was running late I would have slowed down and taken the time to see who it was … is … were … whatever (which is exactly what all the dumb white girls in scary movies do and they all end up dead).

So, maybe I should be glad that I was pressed for time and had to put the pedal to the metal.

Or, maybe I should be remorseful that I’ll never hook up with that long lost cousin who was trying to flag me down.

Or maybe my guardian angel was just sending me a friendly hello … or detouring me from certain disaster … twice.

As it is now, all I can do is wonder about it … forever.

1 comment:

Kanika Clavejo said...

Hey when are you gonna come do a clinic with us?