Thursday, June 04, 2009

Time to turn the page ...


In about two weeks our fearless foursome and the pups will be on our way to new digs in Phoenix.

Hard to believe but more than a year, 14 months to be exact, has passed since I first arrived in Redding. As I feverishly plan my departure and pull up roots bound for Phoenix, I can’t help but be sad for there are things about the North State that I will sorely miss ...

The smell – because it always smells like vacation here, like camping by the river, like sun-drenched vegetation in the wilderness and clean, cold water – and how this smell has the power to bring on a sudden rush of precious childhood memories and transport me back to long, lazy summer days spent lounging idly on my Grandma’s lawn swing in her 100+ degrees Yuba City backyard garden, sucking grape Nehi from a glass bottle I purchased at the corner store, studying the sowbugs and grasshoppers, burying my bare toes in the long, cool grass and the soft, peaceful ksssk, ksssk, ksssk, ksssk, swiiiiiish of the lawn sprinkler in the background.

My backyard – because it contained enough dirt, enough grass, enough leaves and enough critters to make me feel like I was a part of the permanent landscape and to constantly remind me of my connection to the earth

The weather –because from rain to snow to blistering heat you never know from one day to the next which of the four seasons mother nature truly has in store for you until you fling open your own front door each day and experience it first hand as it smacks you in the face.

The postcard moments – because everyday, from mountains, meadows and rivers, I could use my fingers to form a camera lense, point it in almost any direction and find at least a half-dozen “postcard” moments to be awed by and grateful for

Here's to hoping I'll find "postcard" moments in the desert too ... cuz here we go!



.

No comments: