
Winterguard season is already half over!
Time flies when you’re having fun???
I was successful in my bid to judge for WGAZ this year with four assignments in that circuit (including champs). It’s a whole new world and the same old thing all in the same bag. Truth is it’s been a lot of fun that’s helped me hone my skills since WGAZ holds a full critique after every show. What a challenge!
It’s been really good being in four circuits this year. It’s afforded me the opportunity to see quite a few world guards in person which is unique for me as I usually have to attend a regional to be able to see more than the 1-2 local groups. Those up close and personal viewings have really been beneficial blended together with my “homework” on Fan Network.
I turned a corner this year as a judge and have finally developed my very own sensibility and it’s made everything so astonishing simple, stress free and really fun. I think a lot of my confidence is attributable to the considerable amount of reading I’ve done about design principles, visual art, performing art, theatre art, choreography and “human movement”. I know it’s broadened my observation skills and expanded my commentary. My reading on dance design has had the strongest impact on my judging and has been the most interesting to me. In the end it made me wish I was a lot younger and could do it all again, only better … and it’s reignited my fire for teaching.
The upcoming weekend is a show in AZ, then there’s Indy, then a weekend off (huzzah!) due to the Oak Grove show being cancelled, then WGAZ champs followed by CCGC champs. Then suddenly back-to-back Saturday mornings that begin with Starbucks at the airport in the company of my tiny red rolling suitcase will be gone forever. Whoosh and click as another door closes.
Next year in San Diego?
.
No comments:
Post a Comment