Tuesday, January 10, 2006

It wudda' been my ass ... or yours


If you or I had been in an accident, or encountered a policeman for any reason while behind the wheel and been caught without a valid driver's license or insurance we would have received a FAT ticket, our vehicle would have been impounded for a mandatory 30 days and we would have been walking home. I know this is a fact. I've experienced it first-hand and mine was mild compared to what some people are put through. Don't misunderstand ... I'm absolutely not saying it was the right thing to do. I was wrong. I have a handful of rationalizations for why I did it ... but bottom line I was wrong. So was Arnie.

Why oh why is this not what happened to Arnie? What does it say about our system of government that our leader is above the law? What does it say about us that more of us aren't even slightly ruffled about this? This is wrong. It's poor government and an absolute injustice to anyone who has had the hammer come down on them for the same thing.

I'm interested in Arnie's rationalizations and truly bugged that the media and the people have laughed this off. What do you suppose would have happened if he'd killed somebody while driving unlicensed and uninsured? Gives you pause to think doesn't it? Then think about what would have happened if you'd killed somebody.

I confess, the only rationalization I can think of for Arnie on his behalf is that he knew he wasn't going to get in any trouble.

No comments: