Friday, January 13, 2006

To paraphrase Winnie the Pooh ...


I am having a "no-good, very bad day" ... all week. I quite naively thought my life turned upside down last week. Little did I know what was in store for me. I've been rattled to my core and left feeling like a hollowed out shell of my real self. Funny how devastating news does that. Can't eat. Can't sleep. Don't wanna' work. Just wanna' pull the covers over my head.

The longer I live the more I'm convinced there is no great meaning to life. Life is just a series of frustrating obstacles to overcome dotted (thankfully) with stretches of happiness and moments of sheer joy. How it goes has everything to do with how you set yourself up in the beginning. Everyday can be a breeze or a struggle. Well, mine was a breeze for a long time and I didn't realize it. Lately there's been a lot of struggle. The upside is that I've learned to appreciate good things, good people and good times more than ever. I've learned that for me a clean house, a full refrigerator and money left over at the end of the week can feel like as much of an accomplishment as finding a cure for cancer.

There's a song with a line in it that resonates strongly with me "it's like I'm living someone else's life - like I stepped outside when everything was going right". That's exactly how I feel right now.

In 1992 someone gave me a postcard with the saying "When one door closes another one opens, but damn those hallways are a bitch". In my opinion whoever coined that particular phrase is a f*#king genius.

.

No comments: