Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Thinking of my parents today ...


When I think of my parents as they were in my adult years, I especially like to think of them the way they were in 1993 and the few years immediately following that. Right about the time they moved into the Casa De Vallejo. They were both relatively healthy and fit and full of “piss and vinegar” (as my Dad would say) and they ran that place. Everyone there loved them. My mom organized bingo and ice cream socials and she and my Dad spent countless hours on their newest hobby, law, with the dual purpose of fighting the IRS and teaching others how to defend themselves in various court cases. We had a set of Black's around here for awhile as a result of that. Seriously, they were the belles of the ball with good health, attitude to spare and an income that supported their very modest needs.

My parents got married in 1954, just three days after my mother graduated from high school, and were inseparable ever after. Through whatever (and there were many moments of whatever, some that I witnessed) they knew what it was to be married and they lived it everyday like they meant it. My mom’s favorite joke about that was to repeat what my Dad told her the day they got married “there are many levels of poverty sweetheart and we’re gonna’ experience every one of ‘em”. My parents were always each other’s best friend and sworn defender. I will always remember that about them the most.

No comments: