That's what I did. I put on some pants and got the hell out leaving everything behind. I always knew I wasn't a material girl. When we stayed in Reno a few weekends ago the school whose contest I was judging put us up at the Western Village Inn and Casino. Sounds cheesy but it was actually more than okay without being great and, overall, they took good care of us. After judging on Saturday I was whipped. We had all these big plans for going to dinner and gambling. B took one look at me over the dinner table and told me we were going to call it a night. Thank God! I got to the room and fell out before my head even hit the pillow ... him too I think. In the wee hours of the morning I heard what I thought was a police siren right outside our window. I woke up for a moment and I remember thinking "tsk, tsk, someone is in trouble" and fell back asleep. Some time later I woke again this time to loud banging on a door farther down the hallway and someone shouting "Kelly, Kelly" and I assumed the police were looking for someone named Kelly. Hoping it wasn't some girl getting the crap kicked out of her, or worse, I went back to sleep. Next I woke with a start to someone banging loudly on MY door. I jumped up and ran to the door but before I could get there someone had opened it and standing in the doorway was a fireman in full yellow, rubber, outfit and mask shouting "SECURITY (oh, registers my brain, not Kelly, seCURIty), FIRE, GET OUT OF THE BUILDING". Once the door was open you could smell and see smoke. Needless to say it took about 1 minute for us to throw on some clothes and get the hell out. It was 5 a.m. and we, along with everyone else who was evacuated, decided to have breakfast in the cafe. About 30 minutes into our meal the firemen came through telling everyone we could all go back to our rooms now. Just like that it was over. Apparently there was a fire in a room just down the hall from us and they controlled it right away. Whew! Adding this to our Greyhound adventure made for an interesting weekend. It's definitely one for the mental scrapbook. I'll put it in the section called "Things I Never Thought Would Happen To Me" -- which as it turns out, is the biggest section in my mental scrapbook.
No comments:
Post a Comment