Monday, May 08, 2006

Intensity to the 7th Power

I’m tired and sunburned, covered in bruises and blisters, have a sprung thumb, damaged right index finger and a bruised cheekbone … yep, it’s drum corps season! Woohoo!

I had a looong drive on Saturday morning down to Hollister. Basically you go all the way to Gilroy than hang a left for about 30 minutes. It’s far!!!! Anyhoo, took a 3 hour drive down there to judge a parade early Saturday morning before heading back up the Peninsula to Renegades camp. I arrived in Hollister about 9:00, saw a few friends, did a little recruiting, caught up on the circuit gossip and drama and then judged about a dozen colorguards between 10:00 and 11:00. Some pleasant surprises in that bunch got me in the mood for an intense rehearsal weekend with the Reneguard. I left Hollister about 11:30 and arrived at Treasure Island about 2 hours later.
Did the infamous drum corps parking lot clothing change and morphed into a Renegade. Had a hard time catching up on everything they had learned Friday night and Saturday morning but had my mind wrapped around it pretty well before the end of the weekend. Definitely looking out for a Sacramento sectional to happen this week to solidify everything I learned this weekend … gotta’ get the muscle memory working for me!

Usually on Mondays following camp I’m drained both emotionally and physically … this time not so much. Sure, I’m bone tired but I’m also exhilarated. This is the very best Renegades colorguard, period, ever, end of story. The talent in the guard this year is amazing and serious chops abound! I’m very happy (and feel very lucky) to be a part of this guard. This is the best colorguard I’ve ever been in, bar none. We still have a few open spots but I expect that with all of us putting forth some continued recruiting effort that’s going to be fixed shortly. I really like the music for this year’s show … at least what I’ve heard of it so far. I’m not a musician but even I can appreciate the difficulty of the book and the extreme talent it takes to play it. I was very impressed with the few horn run throughs I saw. Their drill looks like its challenging. I haven’t seen much of the drum show yet. They were sort of in stealth mode this weekend working with Murray Gusseck. Good things are bound to come out of that. For the first time in my Renegades experience I’m looking forward to Family Day on June 11.

When I dragged in from camp Sunday evening my hubby had pizza waiting for me. All I had to do was make myself comfortable and rest up for Monday. Thanks B! Love you much. You really GET me!

This weekend was so intense!!!

No comments: