Tough rehearsal this past weekend. Our first show is upon us and we’re still fraying at the edges. Funniest thing I heard this weekend though was our staff trying to make us feel better by telling us we don’t want to peak too early anyway. Hahahahahaha. According to numerous accounts, things actually began to take shape by the end of the weekend. After watching the video I must say it looks better than it feels. I have to keep reminding myself that we’ve really only had about four “real” camps to pull together an almost complete show. When you look at it like that we’re doing phenomenally well. It’s also therapeutic to remember that we don’t really have to be ready to kick butt until August – which is many camps away as yet. I stayed this weekend at the south bay haven that is Rhonda’s Los Gatos home. Rhonda (aka “Rio”) is an outstanding hostess with a beautiful home only ten minutes from the rehearsal field and she’s an absolute gem to share it with this rowdy, loud and smelly crew. Thanks Rhonda, I sincerely appreciate it! Even with no fewer than twelve of the ReneCrew in residence we were all truly comfortable and well taken care of with a great breakfast thrown in by Chef Cabanban. Let’s rehearse down south more often!!!
There was a corps party at Gilman's on Saturday night but this girl was far too tired to make it and was in bed by 11:00.
The ‘Gades previously scheduled appearance at BD Family Day on Sunday was cancelled a couple of weeks ago because we quite simply needed some additional time to pull it together – especially given the snare scare. A few of us managed to make it to DVC as spectators though to watch BD A, B and C show off their chops. Too much is yet to be finished to get a real feel for how good BD’s A Corps is going to be this year but the new unis and drums are exceptionally nice and, from what I saw on Sunday, the corps is strong and sounds good. West is best. Bring it back to Cali!
There was much random mention made this weekend of towels (NO! YOU’RE a towel) and of “socks” -- for hair buns as well as for use with a pickle. Don’t ask, I’m not telling, just remember your socks … for multiple reasons. Guard unis are yet to be seen and yet another pair of guard shoes needs to be purchased. Lots of things to do and organize this week in prep for the hectic show weekend ahead. The schedule for this work week is just about as frantic as the upcoming weekend – besides real work there’s a sectional tonight and tomorrow with another long one scheduled for Friday night. I have to say my thoughts are NOT on my 9-5 gig this week. Instead I find myself thinking about the dreaded “blue flagwork” all the time. Thanks to everyone who was so willing to help me wrap my mind around this but a special shout out goes to Debada for “slap-a-bitch, throw up, up and down, be pretty, poke!” Some crazy-shyt that really works.
1 comment:
Ok I love the blue flag sayings!!! OMG!!
Post a Comment