Monday, June 19, 2006

Happy Anniversary John & Dori Roy

I’m slamming water today. I am so dehydrated. It was an all-Rene weekend and it was both physically and emotionally draining! This morning I look like a piece of overcooked bacon and have a blue bruise on my nose where I tried to catch a flag toss with my face. Someone asked me if I went to the tanning booth … sigh. Having an all drum corps weekend is a little like traveling to a distant planet no one has ever heard of. It’s always a shocking surprise to me to return to earth on Monday morning where other people planted flowers, ate BBQ ribs and relaxed by the pool for the past two days. These summer routines are a fond and distant memory to me. How do you explain to someone that you chose to spend your weekend running around a football field at 180bpm, fighting sunburn and dehydration? People keep asking me “how was your weekend?” and I get this blank look because I don’t quite know what to say. If only there was way to explain this whacky activity and the hold that it gets on people. But there’s just not … so I finally just say “good, how was yours?”

Today would have been my parent’s 52nd wedding anniversary so they’re on my mind. They’d been married for 48 years when my mom passed away but me, my Dad and my boys celebrated their 50th anniversary anyway by having dinner at in a booth at Denny’s. I know that sounds weird but it was always my Mom’s big joke that her family was soooo small that she could hold her 50th wedding anniversary party in a booth at Denny’s – so we did – and we had a good laugh over it. We went right after the Moonlight Classic in Stockton in 2004. My Dad was able to attend the show and it turned out to be the only time he ever saw me do my senior corps thing. He and my Mom were always supportive of my drum corps geekiness so it’s no big surprise that he was really proud of me and had a good time at the show. As always, he was most impressed with the talent of the jr. corps hornlines. My Dad is a big Bonnie Ott fan. He passed away just before the 2005 season shows started.

I had the worst show of my entire life yesterday – so now I know what THAT'S like and I can cross that off my list of scary shit I’m afraid of -- it was on my list directly under being burned alive so you can see how yesterday was a pretty big deal to me. New on my list of scary shit though is “what if this is the best I can do?” It’s in the number three spot with a bullet but I refuse to dwell on that right now and I’m going to go get some more water ……

Weekend wrap up … sock buns, don’t ask don’t tell … Jesus Christ in scuba gear … Mommy, why is that man wearing those funny shoes … to strip or not to strip that is the question … you can wear gloves but you have to be nude … equipment Nazis with dymo labelers (where the hell is your tazer when you need it most) … NO shade for you …

And the award goes to ...
Worst Moment Runner-Up – Cracking myself in the nose with the flag
Worst Moment(not in a performance) – a practice field next to a huge public swimming pool
Best Moment Runner Up – Hearing Jim Jackson playing horn parts from the 1975 SCV show and feeling the need to travel from the backside line to the front side line just to give him a hug.
Best Overall -- Thank God I have great friends.

And that’s all I have to say about that .....

No comments: