Friday, August 04, 2006

A Note to the Brethren ...

In less than a month the 2006 Renegades will cease to exist.

We’re at that point in the season where I start feeling nostalgic about Renegades. The absence of Renegades not with us this season is more deeply felt and the camaraderie with those on the field is more pronounced. Once again we’re close to that place where all the hard work and struggle finally results in greatness … and suddenly it’s over … POOF … and me and all my cohorts in crime, this rag-tag mix of lunatics called Renegades that I’ve come to think of once again as family, will never do this show again. Ever. Period. Come September 4th, we'll board airplanes and go our separate ways into our individual futures. To me that’s a sad realization that, without fail, hits me the hardest as we’re entering the field at finals.

When I talk about these feelings to other Renegades the litany I most often hear is “there’s always next year”. Personally I’m dumbfounded that people have such confidence in that. To me Renegades is a wonder every year -- a lucky happenstance where planets align and magic happens – a unique recipe of talent, personalities, creativity and opportunity that has, thus far, managed to materialize each year despite incredible odds and seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Each of my five seasons has had it's own identity and no two have been the same experience. I realize Renegades isn’t a permanent fixture on the landscape. It might not be here in 2 years when I'm finally in shape, or can afford it, or my spouse says its okay, or whatever and I know that realization makes me live more in the moment, give more to the moment and enjoy and appreciate Renegades as the fleeting and unique experience that I believe it really is. I’m sad to see each season come to a close because, truly, none of us knows if it will be our last.

This weekend we’ll be balls to the walls again at Treasure Island. After watching last Sunday’s run through I’m looking forward to this weekend. I feel a “gel” coming on. I’ve been elated, disappointed, excited, frustrated, happy and thoroughly pissed off and ready to go home and never come back at various points throughout the season …... sometimes all on the same day ……. and for all that I love this corps. I’m feeling as physically and mentally prepared as I can be and ready to surprise myself with what I, and the rest of this band of loonies, can accomplish.

We will never pass this way again.

See you "in the moment"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. . .

I wish I had read this before last camp. I was a poopy head all day Saturday. I was so frustrated with the way the camp was going and how the year has gone. But you are right. This is the only 2006 Renegades. It has been a tough year but we're getting through it. Each year is special and instead of whining and complaining about how crazy the staff issues are (no drill? WHAT?!) I should just live in the moment and enjoy that I can be healthy enough to march and be part of a great group of people.

Thanks :)