Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Real Life Struggles On

There’s not much time for a real life right now but real life struggles to go on anyway. I’ve been pretty busy at work and it’s been hard to focus on my paying gig while recovering from or preparing for Renegades. It’s like being two different people. Actually wouldn’t it be great if you could randomly choose to be two different people and send your other self to work while you do what you want.

I’m here to report that camp was good. Saturday was nippy, overcast and a little windy and that’s only because I wore shorts. Sunday it got pretty hot and that’s only because I wore long pants. The sun got sneaky and while I wasn’t paying attention it got hot enough out there to sunburn me – again – and I’m just going to have deal with the fact that my facial skin is going to have the elasticity of a wallet by the end of the season. I knew I was sunburned so on Monday at work I took this little hotel-sample bottle of “moisturizer” out of my purse and started using it on my nose, chin and cheekbones. This morning I noticed it’s not moisturizer at all --- it’s shampoo. Mr. Magoo rides again! My nose, chin and cheek bones are all peeling now. Good Grief!

We accomplished a lot this weekend. We successfully integrated a couple of new guard people, rewrote most of the drill for the rifle line in the opener, added new drill and flag work to the significantly beefed up show ending – which I think totally ROCKS by the way. I was holding up great until late Sunday afternoon when my left foot found the huge crack that is the 50 yard line between the back side line and center X. Damn, damn, damn! The upside was that I got to watch the final run through from the front side line. I will say this for the guard – HOLY SHIT! Seriously I was stunned by most of what I saw – especially the dreaded blue flag work. You folks on side two near the back side line totally rock that part. I kept looking out there and thinking “who are these people”. You look amazing. I’m looking forward to what happens when we pull the rest of it together. I have to say several weeks ago I briefly lost all of my happy fairy-dust thoughts and was rapidly plummeting towards earth in regards to how I thought we were doing. I officially take it all back! The colorguard can knock this one right out of the ball park. Getting through this weekend pretty much worked me to my last nerve but it’s all good stuff and, leaving on Sunday, I felt a real sense of accomplishment as well as a sense of relief. Whew! Rochester here we come. As I told Greg Gilman on Sunday – I’m gonna’ make this show my bitch if it kills me!

MBoB traffic has been pretty fast, heavy and intense of late. In fact earlier this week my fingers got so tangled up that … well … the MBoBs are now 4. Actually if we’d have put it to a vote to add a new member I think we’d have chosen the same person fate chose anyway so it’s all good.

My son JD is out from Texas this summer and is staying with us off and on. I’m pretty tied up this weekend with rehearsals but am hoping to make time for some good summer fun for him the following weekend when Renegades break for DCI. There’s plenty to do and see in the immediate are so I’ll put my thinking cap on and come up with something creatively entertaining. After THAT weekend the total focus will be Rochester. It’s just that time of year.

The remainder of this week promises to be hectic. I have more commitments this one week then I usually have in 6. Today I went to lunch with Stubert and had the best of times eating pizza and ice cream. My friend Di just called and we’re going to go to dinner tonight. I have a business trip tomorrow and it looks like I’ll be helping Mistress Kelli learn the blue flag work tomorrow night after I land in Sac and will then meet Stu at my house where I will bleach his hair. The following evening I’ll pick up that sexy beast Alton at the airport so we can start the Renegades rehearsal festivities all over again on Saturday morning.

Note to self … must buy sunscreen.

No comments: