Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The weekend in review ...

It’s Tuesday and someone has stealthily brought a ginormous bag of their left over Halloween candy into my office and put it on my desk. It’s obviously someone who hates me! I am not that strong. Tootsie Rolls and coffee … the new breakfast of champions!

The weekend was alternately busy and lazy. On Saturday I was up early to go to Lodi to judge the Grape Bowl Classic. It was a tremendously long and damp day with the weather bringing back Hurricane Ernesto memories. I had very good company in the box this weekend though and so the time went pretty quickly. I never know what to do with myself in the downtime between parade and field but Saturday I went with Christy (director at Santa Cruz) and Elsie (tabulator and everyone’s band mom) to a yarn shop in Lodi. They both knit and I don’t so I expected to be extremely bored. Instead I wanna’ learn how to knit! The yarns available are astonishing and it would be a GREAT way to pass the time commuting. I can’t wait to get started. We got back to the show with only about 30 minutes to kill before go time. The yarn shop was a great diversion. Thanks Christy, it was a great idea!

The field show started at 4:00 and I have to say, I was both stunned and disappointed to be looking at incomplete field shows this late in the season. Come on folks! There’s only two weeks left! You’re only giving your kids a chance to perform their complete show ONE TIME. I hate it when that happens to me and you would too, so don’t do it to your kids. As a performer you never get the chance to really own your show and maximize your performance if you only get to do it ONCE. Ok, now disembarking from soap box.

This was actually my third judging gig this season and it was very satisfying to see the improvements that some of the units have made over the course of the season. My numbers and rankings were vastly different from the other judge’s this weekend and so I’m avoiding going on www.worldofpageantry.com in order not to see who is blasting me for my opinions, lack of training and general lack of brain cells. Sigh. And yet, being a morbidly curious creature I know I’ll give in and log on at some point today. I stand by my numbers though cuz I know what I saw. Folsom was also this weekend and is a much bigger and more popular show … so maybe that will take the focus. Hope springs eternal.

I spent Saturday night with my youngest son and his girlfriend celebrating his 25th birthday at the local pub. We ordered one of every kind of appetizer on the menu and had several pitchers of beer and two marathon games of “couples” pool. It was a very good time and I really needed that down time.

On Sunday morning I awoke to an unpleasant surprise … again. My cat Motown has taken to peeing directly on me (and subsequently my bed) while I sleep and, in his estimation, am not giving him proper cuddle time when he wants it at 3 a.m. He has a box so it’s not a matter of Mother Nature calling. Trust me, Mo intends for me to understand that it’s a reflection of his opinion on me and my stupid need to sleep when he wants to be petted. A week of sleeping in the garage will hopefully cure this rowdy cat. Later on Sunday I ventured out shopping for the first time in months and went to WalMart (cuz if they don’t have it there, you don’t need it) to outfit myself for my new commuter adventures by buying a new coat among other things. It’s very girly and soft and totally impractical and it reminds me of the coats my mother bought for me when I was in grade school … so of course I love it. I was so warm and cozy in it this morning that I fell asleep on the bus and nearly missed my stop. Oops. I spent the rest of Sunday puttering around, cleaning and organizing and otherwise nest building. I think it’s the change in the weather but I’m enjoying my at home time. I want to break out the sewing machine or bake something … egad!

This coming Saturday I’ll be journeying to Madera – which I fondly refer to as one of God’s forsaken territories -- it’s about a 3 hour drive for me and I may elect to spend the night so maybe there’s an adventure in the offing.

I need to get rid of this bag of candy. Let me think (taps skull) who do I hate ...

2 comments:

Kanika Clavejo said...

Sewing machine? You know how to sew???? I need help!

Anonymous said...

Again, she provides me with a giggle at a great time. Now my Mom and Connie get to know about the ramblings of a good woman. Think I might send some pics your way of you looking a bit on the wonderful side at the wedding? Yeah, it will happen soon so we can then chat on the phone about important and vastly minute things all at once.

I'm telling ya, I tossed the extra candy left over from Halloween cuz I want to remember the butt I have instead of watching it turn into 2 rhinos gently tustling under the blankets...something like that...I forget how it goes. Anywhooooo call a gal, will ya? Di signing off with her own ramblings that aren't the least bit poetic.