This morning at the train station I saw a little boy of about three wearing the identical Stride Rite, navy blue “converse” sneakers that my little boys used to wear at that age. I was mentally whisked back to the Christmas holidays when my boys were small. Visits to Santa, Toys R Us at midnight so the boys wouldn’t catch on, plodding through a forest of 6’ trees to find just the right one (when they’re really all the same), letters to Santa, sugar cookies and matching little boy sweaters for Christmas Day at Nana’s. Sigh. As much as it’s nice to be able to walk into the kitchen naked in the morning to get coffee, it just doesn’t begin to compete with having the boys and all their nonsense being part of my day-to-day life.
Letting go is hard and the holidays are a bit empty.
“Charlie Brown, you're the only person I know who can take a wonderful season like Christmas and turn it into a problem. Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest”
- Linus Van Pelt –
No comments:
Post a Comment