Thursday, December 07, 2006

MWF seeks Holiday Spirit for Fun (and possibly more)


Thanksgiving -- the good news is that I didn’t have to cook, the bad news is that it meant there were no leftovers to make sandwiches with on Friday. Bummer! On Thanksgiving we went to my sister-in-law’s house for the holiday and spent an uneventful but good day there with family. My boys couldn’t be there so the holiday mood just wasn’t in me that day. I finally got into the holiday mood on Saturday, Nov 25 while trial judging the Downtown Sacramento Santa Claus parade for PCJA. The fun thing about PCJA events is that, depending on the caption(s) you’re responsible for, you likely don’t judge every unit and so actually get a chance to watch a lot of the parade, check out the spectators, and just sort of enjoy the event. I missed the part I really wanted to see though because I was still wrapping up my scores from a marching band when Santa Claus officially “came to town”. By the time I looked up from the score sheet all I saw was the back of Santa’s hat and a waving gloved hand. Darn it! Still had a good day though. I had no idea there was so many nuances to judging floats and cars and miscellaneous entries. Choosing a sweepstakes winner is harder than it would seem when there’s so much to see. My personal pick was the Ophir Prison Marching Band (yeah, you heard me right). They were the most entertaining entry of the entire parade – talk about performance sell – these guys know how it’s done. Anyhoo, I passed the trial and now I’m an actual PCJA judge. Woot! And I learned that the prize money for this Sacramento Santa parade is significant – to the point where I’m pulling some friends together and entering us in the colorguard caption – stay tuned.

More news on the judging front -- I was ecstatic to receive six assignments for the Central Valley WGI circuits the other day. Looks like I’ll be a busy girl this winter season with 11 shows already on my plate and hopefully more to come -- and that makes me very happy!

In general lots of good things have come my way these past few weeks. Everyone is healthy, I’ve got great friends, some fences in my life have been mended, things are picking up financially, I’ve been doing a lot of nest building and I’m just in general ….. dare I say it even in writing …… happy and relaxed.

No comments: