
Well February is almost half over and since I’ve yet to hear a train whistle I’m guessing the light at the end of the tunnel really is just a light. For the most part, the things that are truly occupying my brain (and my heart) just aren’t to be shared in a blog. So a bit of silent running as I pull a stealthy Steve Austin and “rebuild” myself … “only better”.
Colorguard has been sucking up the majority of my life. I’ve got the two winterguard programs (the Woodies and the Frankies) and am doing a bit of consulting for another (the Elkies) and what with all this teaching and judging I haven’t had a minute to really stop and think … yet. Things will stay pretty busy til 4/1 when reality will finally have a shot at permeating my ultra-strong colorguard defensive shields but by then I’ll be in a financial position to focus on nest building and other things to distract me. Shields down? Whee!
The Woodies are going to be okay as a novice guard. The important thing is that they’re having a good experience. The Frankies are an uphill battle and I don’t yet know what the forecast is for that. At this point we’ll be lucky to make it to the floor at all this season. The kids have heart though, and desire, and while that’s about all they have it’s what has me hanging on by my fingernails. Today being a holiday means yet ANOTHER Frankie rehearsal had to be cancelled. Sigh. Even so, I think we can have a rudimentary show on the floor by 3/3 if nothing else happens … which, well, of course it probably will.
At last Friday night's Fresno show I judged GE for the first time EVER and I was really intimidated going into it (heck seeing my name listed with the rest of that panel was pretty intimidating on it's own) but once we got rolling I was okay. Judging GE is a lot like just watching the show because nearly everything is within your caption. I wasn’t sure the words would come but they did … number wise I didn’t always line up with everyone but happily I was in the ballpark and yesterday morning I received a thumbs up for my tapes … so I’m happy. My next show is Monte Vista on 2/24 (equipment) and things get even more hectic after that. With upcoming NCBA, CCGC and Fresno shows plus kid performances there’s something every Saturday and most Sundays between now and 4/1.
On Sunday I attended the annual PCJA clinic and dinner and, while I’d been dreading attending, I ended up having a really good time and I’m glad that I went. I’ve wanted to be a PCJA judge since I was a kid and last night when they gave me my “official” polo shirt I’ll admit to being a little verklempt. Stupid? I'm sure it is to some … but for me it was a memorable moment. As I sat through the remainder of the meeting, I couldn’t help but reflect on those who had been there before me and I was proud to now be a part of that.
Highlights …
I’ve put 3000+ miles on The Frog and he’s holding up so far but still needs new tires and a tune up (and don’t we all) -- the Sacramento house is a done deal except for the certain arrival of the little black cloud that includes the legal aspects -- I got an unexpected and welcome raise last Friday -- I’ve unwittingly dropped so much oil in my neighbor’s driveway that I’ve lost custody of my super cool parking space -- Stu gave me rugs for my room now so my feet don’t freeze (little things DO count) -- I miss my cat Motown an awful lot --
last night I had a dream that my armpits were as hairy as a orangutan’s no matter how much I shaved them????? -- someone nice put my clothes in the dryer for me this morning -- so life is good as long as I don’t think about it too hard.My weekend plans are up in the air. As of now I have an entire 3-day weekend with NOTHING to do. Knowing that’s impossible, I’m waiting to see what develops and if nothing does … then it’s Miller time!!!!! Sorta’ like Hammer time but not exactly … although I may dance like Hammer after a few beers (my kingdom for a pair of parachute pants).
Later Gators!
No comments:
Post a Comment