Monday, March 26, 2007

If ...

I did a lot of driving this weekend, some of it on the outskirts of nowhere so I had a lot of trouble finding a palatable radio station … which wouldn’t have been hard at all if I spoke Spanish (or were I someone who used a used a sharpie to make eyebrows) … but anyhoo, I was randomly searching and happened on a pretty song I’d never heard before and so I stopped searching until about 3 minutes later the DJ came on and said “worship, you got that right, that’s what we’re here for”. At that point I realized it was a religious station and started pushing the search button again but for the remainder of the trip I could NOT get what that DJ said out of my head. What if he knows what he’s talking about? What if God created man simply for his own pleasure? What if our only purpose in life is to worship Him? What if that’s why it’s so difficult to find any sense in our existence? Maybe that’s why life is just a series of meaningless obstacles to overcome? What if that’s really ALL we’re here for. What if it’s really THAT simple? What if THAT should be the point of our day everyday? What if God is a childish, self-centered, a-hole just like the rest of us? Suddenly I feel about as important as a dust mote and for some strange reason the whole thing reminds me of a Mother Goose poem I learned as a child.

If all the world were apple pie,
And all the sea were ink,
And all the trees were bread and cheese,
What should we have for drink?


Last Wednesday I helped my son move into his new place. The first order of business was buying a mattress so he would have a bed. He told me he had a “twin size frame” in his new room (along with a dresser and a chair). Ok … a quick internet search helped me to quickly realize that a real mattress wasn’t in the budget so we opted for an Aerobed. We hit the Walmart and bought one in a twin size, along with all the bedding to go with it, a couple of pillows, a nightstand, a lamp, an area rug and some other essentials to get him homey in his new home … then we carried all that up 3 flights of stairs! Within one second of arriving in his new room I realized I’d be immediately going back to Walmart to exchange the bed. Ack! There was no “twin frame” in there! Instead there were 3 old mattresses all piled up on top of each other. Sigh. A couple of hours later I had made the trip to Walmart, sans receipt since Chris had lost it, and ended up not being able to return the twin bed and becoming the proud of owner of a full size Aerobed, a twin size Aerobed, a full size bed-in-a-bag as well as a matching twin size bed-in-a-bag. I love Walmart. I hate Walmart. I am soooo conflicted. Ah well. Now Chris has a full size bed at his house and I have a matching twin size bed at mine ... and the kid is settled in his new place and sleeping on four mattresses like something right out of the story about the Princess and the Pea. Sigh.

I hit the judging trifecta once again this weekend with an NCBA show in Benicia on Friday, a show in Modesto on Saturday morning and a show in San Jose on Saturday night. To make up for the hectic pace of Friday and Saturday I made Sunday leisurely. I left the bay area at 11:00, grabbed some eats in Cordelia and made my usual Dixon Walmart stop and reaching home around 3:00. I completed my weekend by going to Outback with my fellow Sacto guard geeks where my two-margarita dinner more than compensated for the intensity of the earlier part of the weekend. Tequila should be a food group.

Today I’m back at work toting that barge and lifting that bale and,thankfully, none the worse for wear really.

.

No comments: