I think the standard wedding vows have outlived their usefulness. I think the words have become like the words to the “Pledge of Allegiance” or “Ring Around The Rosie” – we know them well but we don’t spend too much time thinking about the real meaning behind the words. I think I’d like to hear vows that are meaningful in today’s world with less biblical mumbo jumbo and more plain talk. I think it should be simple, it should be real and if either partner can't, or won't, keep this covenant, then they shouldn't start something they can’t finish.
I promise to spend the rest of my life …
Making sure all your tears are tears of happiness
Sharing your accomplishments and your problems
Being proud of you
Working to make myself a better person so we’ll be a better couple
Always believing in you as well as believing you
Holding you with open arms and making my open arms a place you want to be
Working to ensure that my ego is never more important than yours
Accepting that sometimes you’ll be right and I’ll be wrong
Knowing that everyday will entail compromise and negotiation
Understanding that finding the good times is easy and that not letting the bad times tear us apart takes diligence
Keeping the faith in all ways
.
2 comments:
Didn't 'ring around the rosie' come from the holocast period of time?
It's a reference to the european black plague
"ring around the rosie" = what the pox looked like
"pocket full of posies" = they filled the pockets with petals to reduce the smell of decomp
"ashes, ashes" = they burned the bodies
"we all fall down" = we all die
Post a Comment