I've always wanted to be an import ... and now I've actually done it. Another drum corps dream realized.I needed Monday to sleep walk and recover from the weekend … and now I’m ready for a brief synopsis.
We boarded the plane just before midnight and I was excited to see the flight was only about 30% full with tons of open seats. As soon as the seat belt sign went off, I jumped up and claimed an entire row of 3 all for myself. Knowing Saturday would be a jam-packed physical and emotional day, I made a point of going right to sleep …….. for all of 25 minutes ……. at which point I woke up with the internal temperature of an iceberg. In fact, I think I woke up just in the nick of time to save my nose from breaking off completely like an icicle off a barn roof. After that I really couldn’t sleep at all and my main pastime became avoiding hypothermia and cursing myself for checking the bag that contained my jacket. We arrived in Minnesota about 6:00 am (thank God for warm airports) where we were greeted by Matt Kilinowski. We made a quick stop at his place to change into rehearsal clothes and pick up his darling wife Jen (who reminds me a lot of my son Kevin’s girlfriend btw), and then, fueled by Mickey D’s and a cat-nap in the car we hit the field. For any ‘gades who read this … if you think you feel like a rock star going to DCA, try showing up at someone else’s rehearsal for maximum rock star hype. Wow!
The first day was a 10-10 and it was hot. (I hate all of you people who told me Minnesota would still be cold at this time of year.) There was a lot to cover and it was really tough with no sleep so I just kept my eye on Stu and just tried to keep up with him. I had one near melt down when I found out that I’d spent two hours learning the wrong drill because I’d been given the wrong drill spot. That was more than compensated for by the surprising knowledge that I can throw a pretty effortless and decent four on saber … and yes, catch it and go on. Overall the day went well. Chops Inc. is a great group of people. They work hard but they know how to have a good time and, best of all, they don’t take themselves too seriously. They still recognize that this is supposed to be fun. For the most part, the guard is really young and, like any guard, there are varying degrees of ability. They’re a close group and remind me a lot of the Reneguard in ’02 in terms of how they work together and with the corps as a whole. The entire corps was universally warm and welcoming and I was continually impressed with how they went way out of their way to make us feel welcome and taken care of ... midwest hospitality?? I say this only because it surprised me … I don’t know that I’d expect as warm a reception from everyone if I were, oh say an Empire Statesmen, walking into a Renegade rehearsal. I think us California kids kind of hang back and wait to see what the new kid's got. It's the kids from God's country versus the Gods from kid's country if ya' know what I mean.
After rehearsal we were told we’d be staying at John Meyer’s (the corps founder) house near the rehearsal site. Turns out that practically the entire corps stayed there as well … and that’s the norm. Probably because, much like Renegades, most of them don’t live close to where they rehearse. That night was a great opportunity to make a few friends, watch some Chops DVDs and began to get some sense of Chops history through conversations with some of the members. I learned a little bit about “the circle” – to protect the minors certain activities are forbidden within “the circle” of the corps and it’s a rule that makes absolute sense IMO – and what’s expected of me as a Chopper. So … I hid my beer in a plastic coffee mug, took a dangerously hot shower, and someone made some fabulous Italian food that really hit the spot. Beer, a shower and good food was a guarantee that I was going to pass out from exhaustion standing up if I didn’t go to bed … so I did … and I don’t remember anything else until someone knocked on the door Sunday morning.
In true Renegade style, Stu and I were late to rehearsal. The only ones late to rehearsal. We represented well.
Sunday was a much easier rehearsal day. That’s 100% due to a decent amount of sleep and the fact that the weather was identical to Treasure Island the entire first half of the day. We put equipment work on drill and did many, many, many run throughs. By the end of Sunday we had drill for the opener, the production and the ballad with equipment work in spots. I was comfortable enough at that point that I would have been happy to do a show. At the end of the day, I still had the energy and enthusiasm for a few more run throughs and THAT has NEVER happened before.
Afterwards about a dozen or so of us gathered at Chipotle and I learned a bit more about some of the Choppers. Too soon it was time for Matt to take us to the airport and home. The flight was a lot more crowded but I slept regardless. I got home about 2:30 and hit the sack deciding not to think too far ahead to Monday and the real world until the alarm went off. I put myself to sleep doing run throughs in my head. I didn’t even make it through one.
So I’m off to a good start (and Stu was his typical Diva self … he’s such a sponge). I will confess that my anxiety level is a little high knowing that I won’t be going back for SIX weeks and knowing that I will always be in catch-up mode, but the trade off is worth it. It’s only a three weekend rehearsal commitment plus DCA and I still get to be on the 50 yard line in front of a couple thousand people doing my thing on Labor Day weekend. That leaves a lot of lifetime in between rehearsals to just enjoy the summer at home and if it means I have to duck in and out and do just parts of the show I’m so okay with that. I think this is going to be a really good adventure. I’m looking forward to making some terrific new friends and becoming a full-fledged Chopper when we return at the end of June … when Stubert and I will march our first show of the season !!
o o
O
.
No comments:
Post a Comment