... go round and round.
I've never much liked the Beatles. I guess I was too young or too immature or too .... I dunno' something ... to appreciate them when they came along. Or maybe not enough of something else. Maybe I wasn't cool enough ..... but I never liked them. I became aware of them in the 7th grade only because a girl in my journalism class had her entire Science binder covered with pictures of John Lennon she'd cut out of teen magazines. She couldn't believe it when I told her that I'd never had a crush on Ringo, George, John or Paul... ok maybe the teeniest, tiniest one on Paul from when I saw him on Ed Sullivan but I wasn't going to confess that to this girl. I despised her AND the Beatles at that point. But really I just didn't get them. Conversely I had Herman's Hermits records (yes records, large round disks of pressed vinyl that played sounds when you pulled a needle through their grooves) that I played over and over and over til I knew every syllable about "Mrs. Brown's Lovely Daughter". Herman's Hermits are gone but the Beatles live on. More evidence that all my taste is in my mouth.
Along that same vein, I never liked, or understood, John Lennon. Now that I'm older I sort of feel that I missed the boat there. After ignoring him for 40+ years, I now find that a lot of what he had to say in his songs really touches me in my, now mature, soul. As a young adult I couldn't "imagine" all those things he wanted me to see. But right now ... as I wonder about what to "give" when something has to "give" ...
well ...
I find myself thinking about stepping off the merry go round.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment