Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Let go and hope ...

On August 24, my son Kevin and his lovely Devon stood in the middle of a bright, hot, sunny, Sunday morning and before an assemblage of their family and closest friends they earnestly swore to share every bit of themselves with each other, and only with each other, until their death. A weighty promise to journey together into an absolute unknown, the depths of which their young love can only begin to fathom.

As I listened to Kevin promise his life to Devon I felt a familiar sensation wash over me. The same sensation I got when I finally let go of Kevin’s hand so he could take his first steps, walk to school for the first time or drive away in his very first car. Every time that he and I have reached the junction where I have had to let go and hope that my words of wisdom and caution are enough and are still in his ear. And here we are once again at that junction.

As they exchanged vows over their rings their heartbreakingly sincere feelings for one another were there for everyone to read on their faces. I know their vows were spoken from the heart. But aren’t they always? I worried for them as only a heart scarred by a graceless world can worry. I know my path doesn’t have to be theirs. I know their story can be beautiful if they keep their wedding day fresh in their hearts and honor it by never letting go of each other for anything or anyone.

When the newest Mr.& Mrs. Montemayor turned to be introduced for the very first time, my thoughts swirled between wishing I could absorb some of their disappointments and hoping that I’ll have the good fortune to be there to share some their joys. As a mom I wish them every good thing possible. As a woman I selfishly count my blessings for I know their love will serve me too. I watched them walk down the aisle together smiling widely and gave only a cursory nod to the many, tiny, tragedies that I know will dot their life together and I silently sent a message to the angels to ask that those tragedies be far outweighed by great joy … and one more time, I let go and hoped my words of wisdom and caution were enough and were still in his ear.

I’m so powerfully proud of them both and I realize finally that the only thing that’s certain here is that I will do everything I can to help them keep their dreams alive and help them make their dreams come true. Some things don’t change.

It’s your story Kevin and Devon …I hope it’s legendary.

Love,
Mom


:)

2 comments:

Diane said...

I love reading about this very special time for your family. Your tender words speak to me in a way that reminds me how I need to protect my relationship as precious and worth defending. Your presence as my bridesmaid and your encouraging words all along the way mean the world to me. I love you, my friend. D

Kanika Clavejo said...

... and please don't insist on being in the delivery room unless she (they) really want you to be when they're about to have your first grandbaby! :)