Not teaching at band camp this year was a little weird. Not marching this year was a little weird as well. Weirder still is how easy it was to get used to weekends off after my whirlwind adventures with Mandarins ended in mid-July. I can’t remember the last time I had this much time on my hands. I’ll tell you what though, my house is as clean as it will ever be and I have absolutely no clutter in my life … in so many ways. I’ve actually enjoyed the time away and I find it’s made me a lot less burned out and even a bit hungry for the activity again. I feel ready to get back to it … I think.
So I’m venturing out this weekend on my first guard-related excursion since last July and making the 5-hour (that’s right 5-hour) drive down to Merced to consult with Golden Valley again this year. I’m excited to go. I’m honored to be invited back. I’m happy the kids asked for me specifically. The long drive necessitates an overnight stay in that garden spot called Merced, courtesy of GV. It’s a touch of rock star status in an otherwise ordinary life, so I’m all over it. I’ll work with them on Saturday morning and still make it home for dinner on Saturday night. It's a shotgun blast of a trip that will still leave me free to be all day Sunday. It’s an easy way to get broken in again.
My second excursion back into the fray should be a WBA contest on 10/11 but since my schedule with them right now is just a series of “reserved and don’t forget it” Saturdays, I don’t know if 10/11 will actually pan out or not for me. I hope it, and the following six Saturdays all pan out but we’ll see. But my next hard-scheduled event is a band contest in Utah. You heard me right. Utah. I’m flying there in mid-October for the Rocky Mountain Invitational. I don’t know how they got my name but I’m really pleased to be invited ... despite the fact that the adventure begins with a turboprop plane out of Redding’s teeny-tiny airport ... I'm afraid I’ll arrive in Utah with gray hair and wrinkles from flight-fright. More on that adventure after it happens.
Working on the jobsite here in redneck country, I’ve gotten used to wearing nothing but ratty ol' jeans and tennis shoes. I guess I’ll have to knock the dust off some real shoes and dig out some grown up wear here in a bit. Then buy some batteries for my tape recorders and make sure I can locate that darned cord that connects my computer to my digital voice recorder. Oy Vey!
Watch out world!
Hibernation is over!
No comments:
Post a Comment